Grain-Free Scallion Pancakes
Deliciously crispy, flavorful scallion pancakes, but make them grain-free! These are so tasty and the crunch is fantastic. Don't let the many steps fool you--it's a super easy recipe to make and comes together more quickly than you think!
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Pour flour into a medium-sized bowl. Add hot water to flour and use chopsticks to mix until just combined (it'll look crumbly), then use hands to form into a smooth dough.
- Add ½ tsp avocado oil on top, then lightly cover and set aside.
- Make filling by combining all ingredients except scallions and stirring or whisking to mix well.
- Split dough evenly into 4 parts.
- Create your workspace by putting down parchment paper and adding a little drizzle of avocado oil on top.
- Take one part of dough, drizzle a small amount of avocado oil on top, and use a rolling pin to roll as thin as you can into an oval or rectangular shape.
- Spread ½ Tbsp filling on top, covering the entire surface of the dough.
- Sprinkle on ¼ cup scallions.
- Roll the dough as tightly as you can, almost like you’re making a cinnamon roll, but start on the long side (see photos for reference).
- After you’ve rolled it into a long log, form a spiral with the dough, again as tightly as you can.
- Press the spiral down with the palm of your hand to flatten, then use a rolling pin to roll it into a thin circular pancake (as thin as you can get it for best, crispiest results).
- Preheat a skillet on medium-high heat, then add 1 tsp or more avocado oil. More oil = crispier pancake.
- Carefully add pancake to skillet and cook on 1 side for 2-3 minutes or until browned.
- Brush the other side with avocado oil and carefully flip pancake. Cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes. Using enough oil is important because that’s what makes it crispy!
- Transfer to wire rack to cool (this allows it to cool and maintain its crisp).
- Repeat with the rest of the dough balls.
- Slice into pieces and serve immediately!
You can reheat in a pan later to crisp back up (or in an air fryer).
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week